Step 2: Injury Checklists
An injury, which is the result of a motor vehicle accident, is never planned. It can cause distress and considerable disturbance in the lives of both you and your family. It can have major repercussions on your emotional and financial wellbeing. Knowing the steps to take after a motor vehicle accident can reduce the possibility of future problems and ensure that you get the help you need. It can also ensure, when appropriate, fair compensation for your injuries.
The following needs to be done at the scene of an accident:
- Check for injuries – First thing, take care of yourself and others. Find out if anyone is hurt. If anyone requires emergency assistance, call 911.
- Exchange information – Share insurance information with the other drivers and or pedestrians, as well as names, addresses, and phone numbers. Write down the other vehicle’s make, model and license number.
- Call the police to report the accident – Do this at the scene or go to the nearest station to complete a report. Try to obtain a copy or ask the officer for the report number.
- Stay calm – Avoid arguments with the other driver. The police will want to speak to everyone involved in the accident as well as to witnesses. You need to co-operate fully with them and provide accurate information. Stick to facts you are sure of, if you are not sure, be as brief as possible.
- Take photos – If you are traveling with a camera or camera phone, it’s wise to take pictures at the scene. Get shots of the vehicles involved, damage and license plates. This kind of documentation may help later with your claim. Make detailed observations of the scene and the road conditions at the time of the collision.
- See your family doctor – It is a good idea to make an appointment to see your family doctor as soon as possible after a car or other motor vehicle accident. Your family doctor will be able to identify and document any symptoms you may have and following the advice of your treating physicians and health care professionals will assist you in making the best recovery possible.
We know the trauma and uncertainty of a serious injury to either yourself or a loved one can be overwhelming. But there are several steps that must be taken immediately and a number of critical decisions that need to be made to ensure proper protection.
- Get medical help as soon as possible – Your health and that of your loved ones should be your number one priority.
- If you have family in the area, contact them – Besides the obvious care and support they can offer, they can also help you remember more of the details and information you receive and ask questions you may not think of. Be diligent when keeping track of any information it can be very important in the process for your healing and protection.
- Notify the police or authorities – Notify the police or authorities of the accident as soon as possible.
- Take photos – If you are traveling with a camera or camera phone, it’s wise to take pictures at the scene. This kind of documentation may help later with your claim. Also, make detailed observations of the scene and the conditions at the time of the injury.
- Contact 四川福彩app下载 or employer – Let them know there has been an accident.
- Contact your insurance company – This is very important to ensure that you can obtain benefits.
- Contact a Personal Injury Lawyer – Make certain you know your rights and that they are completely protected. We are happy to provide you with this information free of charge.
- Work with your lawyer四川福彩app下载 – Determine the right questions to ask in advance of leaving the hospital.
- Consult with your lawyer四川福彩app下载 – Create a rehabilitation plan and recommend a local rehab team to have in place when the hospital stay is over.
- There will also be a large number of legal and financial issues to deal with – Contact your bank and begin tracking expenses for the accident victim and any caregivers or family members. Be meticulous about keeping records.
Following these steps will be extremely helpful in terms of dealing with the injury and all its ramifications. Over and above that, you can count on us to do whatever it takes to let you focus on getting things back to normal.